Crockett County has a unique history to share. It was named in 1875 to commemorate the illustrious David Crockett of Alamo fame. He was killed in battle March 5, 1836, 5 months short of 50 years after his birth in Tennessee. He never trod the soil nor beheld its beauty, but he is forever linked to the county that proudly bears his name.
Crockett County is the eighth largest of 254 counties in Texas and covers over 3,000 square miles of ruggedly beautiful west Texas. The one and only town within its boundaries is Ozona, which is known as "The Biggest Little Town in the World," with about 3,500 persons calling it "home". The town is un-incorporated and, although being rather isolated from other towns, is quite independent. Ranching and oil/gas businesses keep the economy steady and school activities keep everyone involved.
Crockett County is proud of its heritage, and the Museum on the square shelters the artifacts and shares the stories of its inhabitants from 10,000 B.C. to present day. To the traveler, a stop at the Museum promises a new appreciation for this area of West Texas, as the stories are told about how E.M. Powell acquired a lot of acreage around present-day Ozona. He had surveyed a lot of West Texas and the State paid him in land. He came out to see what was his and found a tree--just a live-oak tree--and Ozona grew up around this tree which still stands. There's a lot more to this story and the Museum invites everyone to come in and hear all of it--and more. Visit 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday.
Compiled by the Crockett County Museum
Crockett County Historical Markers
- Crockett County Courthouse, Ave. D, was completed in 1902 at a cost of $30,000.
- First Commissioners' Court Meeting, Ave. D, convened under the large oak tree on July 22, 1891. Plaque located at the base of tree at First Baptist Parsonage.
- Crockett County Jail, Ave. D east of Courthouse, was built in 1892 of stone quarried nearby.
David Crockett Statue, 11th Street on town square, honors Alamo hero.
- First Water Well, Ave. D at First Baptist Church, was drilled in 1891 and became focus for early life in Ozona.
- Water System, Water Works Drive, fed by a well dug for E.M. Powell who laid out town and donated water well, storage cistern, windmill and land for public buildings.
- Heritage Building (school), Ave E., completed of native limestone in 1912 as the town's first permanent school building.
- Old Ozona Hotel, (now Preddy Funeral Home), 10th Street, built in 1893 to board teachers, visiting athletic teams and business visitors to the city.
- Old Ozona National Bank Building, Ave. E, the county's first financial institution, was constructed in 1905 of native stone.
- The Ozona Stockman, Ave E., weekly newspaper has provided continous coverage since 1892.
- The Perner House, Ave D., moved to the present site from Emerald in 1893.
- The Emerald House, fair ground park between IH-10 and U.S. 290, moved to Ozona from Emerald townsite.
- Fort Lancaster, U.S. 290, 36 miles west of Ozona, established in 1855 to protect travelers on the Old Government Road.
- Howard's Well, marker placed at Fort Lancaster, 36 miles west of Ozona, was landmark of western travel.
- The Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole, marker located at Fort Lancaster, 36 miles west of Ozona on U.S. 290, touched all known water holes in the area. Escondido Water Hole saved lives of many travelers.
- Old Government Road, Lancaster Hill roadside park 30.5 miles west of Ozona on U.S. 290, linked Army posts between Fort Clark and Fort Stockton.
- Fort Lancaster, C.S.A., town square, 11th Street, erected as memorial to Texans who served in Confederacy at Fort Lancaster.
- First Producing Oil Well, junction of SH 137 and U.S. 190, 22 miles northwest of Ozona, came in at a depth of 2,647 feet in 1925.
- Ozona-Barnhart Trap Company, SH right of way 7 miles north of Ozona.
- High Lonesome Stage Stand, roadside park 9 miles north of Ozona on SH 163, was the 20 mile point of the 86 mile mail line from Ozona to San Angelo. Built in 1902, it served one of Texas' last commercial stage lines.
- Comstock-Ozona Stage Stand, SH 163, 20 miles south of Ozona, was the first stop on a passenger and mail line connecting Ozona with the Southern Pacific railhead at Comstock 80 miles away.
- Parker Ranch Home, County Road 310 2 1/2 miles from Iraan, is a Spanish Colonial Home built in 1929 by Mr. and Mrs. O. W. Parker.